One question that seems to always bubble up in interviews is about the source of my “inspiration”. For me it’s more a rabid pursuit of sudden all-consuming interests, I get really into something for maybe 6 months to a year. Learn all I can about said thing. Collect a bunch of said thing. Then abruptly stop and move onto a new fascination. The result is knowing a little bit about a whole lot of basically unrelated dumb things, thus am not the best cocktail party conversationalist but maybe the weirdest. 😉
Here are 5 things I am really into right now in no specific order.
1. Old Crusty Toys- I recently put up a shelf in my bedroom to house my burgeoning collection of old stuffed toys. Mostly interested in mangy ones from the 40s through late 60s. A lot of these were initially accumulating for a project I want to do in the future, but in the meantime they scare people who stumble into my bedroom and see them peering down with their unsettling glass eyes.
2. Aquarium Decor- My fish nerd-ness never recedes but setting up my new 40 gallon tank this year has been one mess after another. I am presently cycling water in an empty tank and looking at a *lot* of aquarium arrangements while planning mine. Especially fascinated by the lush gardened sorts that seem brimming with plants. Maybe I’ll post a plan-to-populated photo essay about my aquarium once it’s arranged and I have fishes again.
3. Vintage Name Brooches- I’ve been on a brooch kick the last couple of years, I love a cluster of vintage brooches on a sweater or the collar of the dress, and they work well with my retro-doll feeling style right now. My current favorites are the little name ones from the 50s and 60s! Often I wear 2 or 3 at a time (and really confuse people). Bonus points for ones with old fashioned names like “Mildred”.
4. Cute Socks- Who doesn’t like some cute socks? It’s too hot for over the knee socks and tights right now so I am wearing a lot of cute ankle socks. Like my 5 year old niece I am very fond of the 10 for $10 sock rack at Ardene’s in the mall, haha. Even if I am wearing drab shoes for running errands having some cute little patterned or frilled socks peaking out makes me feel happier (I am a simple woman).
5. Relaxing- This year has been about finding a work and life balance. I am very good at driving myself, at working til my eyes bleed. But this results in one or two total burn outs every year where I get super sick or just so zonked I can’t keep pushing. I am working on finding a way to maintain my momentum and drive while still unwinding and keeping centered. It’s definitely improved my work, which is the weird thing! More time to unwind means better ideas it seems. So yes, down with all the silly scented candles and dim lamps in the bedroom, down with more reading time, down with art meetups with friends.
What are you into right now?